SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO AUDITION
Join the Boston Crusaders in 2023 by submitting a video audition! Brass, percussion, and color guard may audition via video. Brass and percussion video auditions are due by November 13th. Color guard video auditions are due by December 1st.
Film your video according to your section guides below.
- Exercise 4 (Found in the 2023 audition packet). Please be prepared to play this exercise at Quarter Note = 172. Tubas are NOT required to play exercise 4.
- A 1 to 2.5 minute technical solo, etude, or characteristic study of your choosing.
- Demonstration of your marching abilities. The marching portion should include a basic marching exercise demonstrating your forward, backward, forward slide and backward slide techniques. This marching exercise should be performed at quarter note equals 80 beats per minute and 180 beats per minute. Please remember that you do NOT need to play while demonstrating this exercise.
Please demonstrate McNutt Basics, Rudiment Sheet, Legatos, Stick Control, Diggits, and Two Height Rolls. Please demonstrate two different tempos. A medium tempo and a fast tempo would be the recommended approach. There is room for you to determine exactly what tempo will best to show your playing and performance ability. Please pick tempos that will best reflect your experience as a performer.
In addition, please be prepared to perform a 20-30 second solo that best shows your experience and talents. This could be anything you are comfortable playing that can show us how you perform.
No visual/marching required.
Two Mallet Material
- IHOP #1, #2, #3 at 140bpm and 180bpm
Four Mallet Material
- DVC- 3x’s continuous at 150bpm
- Two-Handed Timing- tempo at discretion of the player
- 4×6 Permutations at 110bpm and 130bpm
Choose to play either “Paradise Lost Excerpt” (marimba, vibe, timpani, synth) or “Percussion Etude”
Solo Piece for Marimba/Vibe/Xylo/Timpani/Piano:
- Please record a 1-2 minute excerpt of a piece that displays your technical proficiency and musicality.
Color Guard Requirements
WHAT TO INCLUDE:
- An introduction of yourself (name, age, where you’re from, where you have marched, and past experience)
- Movement choreography that will be posted in the Facebook Interest Group
- Flag and weapon choreography that will be posted the Facebook Interest Group
- Please include any special tricks or skills that you have in movement (tumbling, aerials, flexibility, etc)
There is no time limit for the video audition, but make it a video that stands out and highlights your highest abilities. We want you to highlight your best skills.